Here are some staggering statistics on social media:
- If Facebook were a country, it would be the third most populated in the world, ahead of the United States (only China and India are more populated).
- The number of minutes spent on Facebook per month in 2010 is 500 billion. Last year, that number was 150 billion.
- 25 billion new pieces of content are shared each month on Facebook – that’s web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photos etc. That figure is more than six times last year’s volume.
- Every single minute of the day, 24 hours worth of video is uploaded to YouTube. That’s an entire day’s worth of footage being uploaded every sixty seconds. And double last year’s volume.
- 2 billion YouTube videos are viewed each and every single day. Twice as many as last year.
- Flickr hosts 4 billion images. That’s 13 more times than the United States Library of Congress.
- The average number of tweets per day on Twitter is 27 million. That’s 8 times last year’s figure.
Social media has revolutionised the world. It has entirely changed how people communicate and connect. How brands conduct business. How people interact. What once occurred via word of mouth now occurs instantaneously through social media platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.
Social media has enabled large and small businesses to extend their reach, and even create communities for their consumers. Never before has a time existed when the connection between a consumer and a brand was so personal and so immediate – and on such a global level.
Social media has become the tool for effective business marketing and sales.
Facebook has over 750 million registered users, Twitter over 200 million. These platforms have enabled the long successful business and marketing tool “word of mouth”, to evolve into “world of mouth.” If you’re not active on social media, if you don’t have a profile within it, then you’re missing out on the opportunity to connect with millions of people every day.
If you are uncertain about how to best utilise Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or any other form of social media, the expertise of White Echo can help with your brand exposure, and most importantly, help in delivering an effective social media campaign with measurable results to you and your business.Contact us to start building your social media profile.